Fashion is all about taking risks and experimenting with different styles, but one trend that can be intimidating to master is mixing and matching patterns and prints. Stripes, polka dots, florals, and animal prints can seem overwhelming when thrown together, but with the right techniques, you can elevate your fashion game to pro status. Mixing patterns can create a bold and unique look that showcases your personal style, and it's easier than you think. In this guide, we'll break down the basics of pattern mixing and provide tips and tricks to help you mix and match patterns like a street style star.
Mixing and matching prints can be a daunting task, but it's a great way to create a unique, elevated and eye-catching look. Here are some tips to help you mix and match patterns like a pro:
- Start with a neutral base: Choose a neutral base color such as black, white, grey, or brown for your outfit. This will create a cohesive canvas that allows your patterns to stand out.
- Pick one statement piece: Choose one patterned piece that you want to be the focal point of your outfit. It could be a printed blouse, a skirt, or a pair of pants.
- Mix different patterns: Choose patterns that complement each other rather than clash. Stripes, polka dots, and florals are all great patterns to mix and match together.
- Stick to a colour scheme: One of the most important parts of nailing the vibe is to stick to a colour scheme when mixing patterns. For example, if you're wearing a blue and white striped top, pair it with a floral skirt that has blue as one of its colours. We suggest working with either a complementary colour scheme, monochromatic or analogous scheme.
TIPS & TRICKS
- Vary the scale: Vary the scale of the patterns you're wearing. If you're wearing a larger print on your top, pair it with a smaller print on your bottom, or vice versa.
- Use accessories: If you're not quite ready to wear head-to-toe patterns, try incorporating patterned accessories into your outfit. A patterned scarf, shoes, or bag can add interest to an otherwise neutral outfit.
- Try monochrome patterns: If you're still unsure about mixing patterns, as a start point try working with monochrome patterns. For example, a black and white floral top with black and white striped pants.
- Confidence is key: With any outfit the best accessory you can have is confidence.
Remember, fashion is all about having fun and expressing yourself. Don't be afraid to experiment with different patterns and styles. With these tips, you'll be mixing and matching patterns like a pro in no time!
Simple print-mixing outfits you can try:
Sustainability/Ethical Rating: For our conscious fashion lovers, we've added a 1-5 star sustainability rating based on this article here and taken into account ethical brand ratings from Good On You to give an estimate score out of 5.
Pinstripe Sateen Relaxed Blazer
Niko Midi Dress
Lenny Brush Stroke Striped Wool Peplum Midi Skirt
The Bradley Lugsole Loafer in Leather
Relaxed Elasticised Pants